Wednesday, October 15, 2014

WAR, good god ya'll


 
 
Psalm 48

Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
    he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Come and see what the Lord has done,
    the desolations he has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
    he burns the shields with fire.
10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”


In our homeschool, we have been studying the Aztec, Maya, and Inca civilizations. These nations were successful politically because their brutality stuck terror in the hearts of their enemies. Many towns surrendered without a fight because of the reputation of the Aztec, Maya, and Inca.

This is no different than Babylon, Rome, Hitler’s Nazis, and now ISIS. I imagine the men and women who fought in Iraq are shaking their heads as they watch Baghdad taken by ISIS, wondering why. What good was it?
 
There is coming a day when there will be no more war. El Shaddai, the promise keeper, has promised that the wolf will live with the lamb. Isaiah 11:6 He has promised that swords will be beaten into plowshares. Nation will not take up sword against nation, not will they train for war anymore. Isaiah 2:4 In the meantime, what should my response be? How can I join with the Prince of Peace to bring about peace on earth?
 
I cannot stop ISIS, but I can pray for my enemies. I can love those who do not love. And I can pray that as a nation, we see our own arrogance, our own heart bent on destruction. Finally, I can pray that I will see my own heart. Do I have a heart inclined toward peace, or toward conflict? Is my heart open to invasion by the Prince of Peace?

Who will join me on this straight crooked path, praying that the Prince of Peace will invade the hearts of those who are bent on destruction, including our own?

“Peace, love, and understanding, tell me.
Is there no place for them today?” –Edwin Starr, War


 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment