Monday, October 13, 2014

Living Water


A place of refuge




but be careful!
 
 
I made a discovery this morning that got me so excited I knocked my coffee off the table and had to spend the next 10 minutes getting it off of the couch and floor.
 


 
Psalm 46

For the director of music. Of the Sons of Korah. According to alamoth. A song.

God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
    and the mountains quake with their surging.

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall;
    God will help her at break of day.
 

Psalm 46:1-3 speaks of our Creator as the ever present help in time of trouble. It speaks of not being afraid even in the middle of disaster.

Verses 4 and 5 tell me why I don’t have to be afraid, instead I can be glad. “There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the Holy dwelling places of the Most High.  God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day.”

The image is of Eden, the rivers of life that flowed through the garden - but it is also the image of the Holy Spirit, the river of life flowing through me.

Jesus said, in John 7:38-39, “’Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.’ By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive.”

Here comes the really exciting part – the knock your coffee off the table part. The dwelling place of God on earth is in me! I am the holy place where Elyon – the Most High God, the King of kings and Lord of lords - dwells. Mighty Creator is within me, I will not fall; Mighty Creator will help me at break of day.

I don’t have to go anywhere to find refuge. My refuge is within me. And the place of refuge is not a cold rocky fortress, but it is a beautiful garden with flowing water. And I can bring that place of refuge to those around me who are living in fear of the future. Today I will walk by the living water in my front yard and meditate on the Living Water who dwells in me.

Longing to spill some Living Water on those I touch today as I walk my straight crooked path.

Living Water by Brandon Lake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py4HGFrmC9I
 

No comments:

Post a Comment