Friday, October 10, 2014

Mighty Creator is My Helm's Deep



Fleeing to the Mountain Fortress of Helm's Deep
 
 
Yesterday afternoon I was sitting in a coffee shop with three other ladies, waiting while our kids (in my case grandkids) participated in bluegrass music lessons. One of the ladies mentioned her fear for her kids as she looked at the events taking place both locally and around the world. Another said, “I stopped watching the news. My husband watches and keeps saying we are on the verge of an apocalypse.”

Fear is present, just below the surface, for many people whether they show it or not. Fear is also present in me. I don’t name it often – it sounds so faithless. What should we do with that fear?

So I am back again in Psalm 46. I think I am going to stay here for quite a while.

How can I “Relax and intimately know that I AM is Mighty Creator?” (Psalm 46:10 Jacki version)

Psalm 46 was written as a song to be sung by sopranos. The song starts out with people in trouble, big trouble - the earth giving way, mountains falling into the sea, waters roaring and foaming to the point of making the mountains quake. That is pretty bad. They need a refuge. To use a Lord of the Rings image – they need a Helm’s Deep.

God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
    and the mountains quake with their surging

I have been in the place where everything I have depended on, trusted in, has come crashing down. My expectations of self, career, family, even my relationship with God, have been crushed. It is a frightening, desperate place.

Where do we run when everything around us is in chaos?  The word for God in verse one is again, Elohim. God (Mighty Creator) is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” There it was again. “Let the power and protection of the Father give you courage. Let the forgiveness and cleansing of the Son give you peace. Let the indwelling of the Holy Spirit give you hope. I AM the Creator. I AM at the beginning and I AM at the end and I AM with you now.”

Mighty Creator is our Helm’s Deep and our strength. We don’t have to be strong. The King will be strong in us. Mighty Creator is totally available to help with an adversary, whether the adversary is people or situations or our own emotional distress. (Psalm 46:1, Jacki paraphrase)

My Mighty Creator makes places of refuge for me along my straight crooked path.


For the director of music. Of the Sons of Korah. According to alamoth. A song.
Psalm 46, written by the Sons of Korah, sung by a soprano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJmTdf0Ab_k

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I was reading this Psalm last night. Thanks for your meditation!

    ReplyDelete