Monday, September 22, 2014

Us - Not Me


 

 
 

Give us this day our daily bread. 
 
I think until this very moment, even though I said the correct words aloud, I have translated the Lord’s Prayer very differently. In my understanding it has been: My Father in Heaven…give me this day my daily bread and forgive me my trespasses…and lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from evil…
 
But Jesus did not teach the disciples to pray that way. The prayer was Our Father…give us our daily bread…forgive our trespasses…deliver us from evil. Always Jesus is talking about community. My American mind wants to make it all about me, when it is really all about us.
 
I think that there are societal strengths and failures – things that are righteous about a society and things that are sinful. I propose that the sins most common to Americans are self-centeredness and greed. We have so much and yet are so discontent. Let me personalize that, I have so much and yet I am so discontent.
 
Most of us do not feel rich, or even well off. And yet compared to the vast majority of people in the world, we are all extremely rich. The apostle Paul said, “But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.” (1 Timothy 6:8)
 
I don’t think that means that it is wrong to provide well for family, we are commanded to do so. Look at Ruth-she didn’t just sit around and wait for manna to drop out of the sky; she worked hard gleaning in the fields. But when the pursuit of material things keeps me from growing spiritually, it is indeed sin.
 
Jesus said in Matthew 6:31-34, “So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’  For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
 
The key here is not to worry about it. Not to spend every waking moment thinking about how to make it happen. If a job opportunity keeps me from seeking first His kingdom, then it is not an opportunity, it is a temptation.
 
So the prayer is for us, but the application of the truth is for me.
 
Today, as I wander the straight crooked path, I will pray for daily bread for myself and others. And I will pray that we will be content.








No comments:

Post a Comment