Thursday, September 11, 2014

Our Father in heaven...



I recently finished a book by Brian McLaren, Naked Spirituality. And while some may call him a heretic, I found his book to be quite refreshing in its honesty about the way this walk with Jesus really is. One of the things McLaren does is challenge the reader to see the gospel through the eyes of the disciples, in the context of 30th to 40th century Israel. I felt challenged to reexamine the gospel, as much as possible, in this light.

And so, when I read, “Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up and went out to a solitary place where He prayed.” (Mark 1:35), I wanted to look at the pattern of Jesus’ prayers. His disciples wanted to know this very same thing. “Teach us to pray.” And Jesus responded with words that a great many people, regardless of their faith, or lack thereof, can recite by heart.

How would Jewish ears have heard these words?

“Our father, who is in heaven…” First of all, God is our Father. My prayers are not prayers of isolation, but of community. This community includes all who have come before me, my contemporaries, all who will come after me, and Jesus Himself. I am part of a family.

The word Father again emphasizes this notion of family. What is (or should be) the role of Father? He is the protector, the provider, the lover, the glue that holds the family together through good times and bad. He knows his children, challenges them to grow, corrects them when they wander, cheers them on to do great things, and cherishes them beyond measure. A father lays down his life daily for his children.

But I am not praying to my father on earth, but rather our Father in heaven. When Solomon built the temple for the LORD he prayed,” But will God really dwell on earth? The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. How much less this temple I have built!” (I Kings 8:27) Our God is the creator. He is the King of kings. He is all the omni’s: omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent… “Our God is a consuming fire.” (Deut. 4:24 and Heb. 12:29)

Our God is both totally apart – holy (Rev 4:8-11), and He is “an ever present help in time of trouble” (Psalm 46:1). He is my loving Father who knows every part of me, and cares for my every need AND He is LORD of all.
 
As I walk the straight crooked path, I am humbled in knowing that the LORD of all still knows my name and hears me when I call.
 
Thanks for walking with me this morning.

 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jackie! I sometimes feel alone with "My Father" prayers. We are a part of the Communio Sanctorum (the holy family) of all the ages.

    ReplyDelete