Monday, September 15, 2014

God's Name is Not Howard

 
 

Matthew 6:9 "may your name always be kept holy" NCV 
 
I like this version of the Lord's prayer much better than the KJV "hallowed be thy name." In my off-the-wall moments that phrase has brought to mind Halloween or the joke about the little boy who prayed, "Our Father who does art in heaven. Howard be thy name."

This part of the Lord’s Prayer parallels the third of the Ten Commandments, “You shall not take the Lord your God’s name in vain.” Keeping God’s name holy is the opposite of taking His name in vain.

We are doing a Bible study this year on the names of God. He has given Himself many names with many meanings: Mighty Creator; God of power and might; I AM, self-existent One; God Almighty; The God who sees me; Everlasting or Eternal God; Most High God; Lord and Master, The Lord will Provide; The Lord Heals; The Lord our Banner-Conqueror, Victor; The Lord is Peace; The Lord of Hosts-Commander of all the Armies of Heaven; The Lord is my Shepherd; The Lord is my Righteousness; The Lord is There; The Lord Who Sanctifies- makes Holy. And that is just the Old Testament list.

I call myself a Christian-a little Christ. I carry God’s name. When the world looks at me, are they getting an accurate picture of God? The hallowing, or making holy, of God’s name is done by how I live my life. Micah 6:8 says "He has showed you, O man what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."   

I am reminded of a Twaila Paris song, Could You Believe. ”Could you believe if I was really like Him, If I lived all the words that I said, If it was clear that I held in my heart what I know in my head.”
 

Do I live a life of faith and love? I fall so short. I am grateful that He is Yahweh Tsidkenu, the Lord my righteousness, and Yahweh Mekadesh, the Lord who makes holy.

I am grateful that He is Yahweh Shammah, The Lord is There, and that He walks the straight crooked path with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment